Storm Alert! Solar storm may hit Earth

The new week is set to kick off with a bang on Monday as a major solar storm is forecast to impact parts of the planet.

According to data analysed by NASA and (NOAA,) there's a pretty high probability that the solar storm will impact Earth tomorrow (14 March) and a smaller chance that the UK could be directly affected.

NOAA predicts that, over a two-week period starting tomorrow, Earth has an 80% chance of getting the effects of a "Direct hit from" a solar storm, a 20% chance that those impacts could reach the UK.

It sounds scary, but there's no need to worry. In fact, for some people it could actually be an interesting - and rare - opportunity.

Hurricane Aurora Borealis (known to you and me as the northern lights) is set to appear more equatorial than usual, a stunning light show usually only seen at points closer to the North Pole,

Heading 2

Other possible effects caused by the storm include interference with radio and GPS systems - something experts say you should especially watch out for when the sun is rising and setting.

The Effect Should Be Strong!, Dr. Tamitha Skov Tweeted Yesterday Explaining: Expect Deep Aurorae In Mid-Latitudes, Amateur Radio & GPS Reception Issues, Especially Near Dawn/Dusk & Earth's Night Time!

If the prospect of a direct hit from a solar storm wasn't enough, Dr. Skov explained that Earth is actually at the center of a 'triple threat' from various forms of space weather, of course.

Solar storms are disturbances on the Sun which travel outwards across our Solar System. Major disturbances have the potential to cause significant impacts to Earth's electronic systems.

One such storm missed Earth for only 9 days in 2012 with scientists claiming that direct hit would have damaged Earth's electronics systems so extensively that it would take up to a decade to recover

Monday's storm is not expected to cause significiant disruption.This news comes after a rare red weather warning was issued for parts of the UK last month.

Check out
More Stories!

Click Here